The First Congregational Church

The First Congregational Church The First Methodist Church Hidden Paradise Railroad

The First Congregational Church

The First Congregational meeting was held August 17, 1884, with 13 people and Rev. Nahum Luther Packard a minister from the Ainsworth Congregational Church. A Charter was obtained and received on September 2, 1885, with a membership of 15. They met in the Skinner Hall, which was over the Charles Clift Cafe, a building north of the Strelow Drug Store. The Congregational Church used the hall in the afternoon and the Methodist Church used the hall in the mornings. While the Congregational and Methodist worshiped in the same building, a Community Ladies Aid was organized and the money earned was equally divided between the two churches. The first Congregational Church was dedicated October 16, 1887. This Church was destroyed by fire January 27, 1911. The new Congregational Church was built on Lot 7, Block 5, Ingersolls Addition. The corner stone was laid in 1911 and the church was dedicated July 12, 1912.

 

During construction, services were held in Mrs. Daily's Skating Rink and the Star Theatre on Sundays until the basement of the new church was completed.

S.H. Kyner donated lots 11, 12, Block 7, Kyner's Addition for a parsonage June 1, 1884. A parsonage was built on these lots. The parsonage was sold in 1940. The 2 lots were sold to the Nazarene Church for $200 May 2, 1948. In 1940 the Congregational Church bought the Orde Weaver property for a parsonage. This parsonage was sold to Jim Stephens in 1972. The address now on the house is 697 N. Pine.

The Congregational Church had irregular church services from 1953, but still had Ladies Association and Sunday School until 1958.

The Church was donated to the Chapel of the Pines in April 1991. The Chapel of the Pines was a full Gospel Pentecotal Church.

 

Heritage House

From August 31, 1992 the church was under the direction of Reverend Stephen and Ginger Pierce, graduates of Kenneth Hagin's Rhema Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma.

The information above was compiled through research from the Long Pine Heritage Society Archive, May, 1999